Radio Free Tobias: Slew of Scientologists stirs scribe...I give up

Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Slew of Scientologists stirs scribe...I give up

I'm no artist when it comes to headlines ("It Takes Tuba", a story I wrote for the Columbus Alive comes to mind), so I really hate to judge... but it's something that I do.

Lyndsey Teter, whose name by the way makes me jealous in ways that are difficult to express (just check out the title of her blog,) wrote another cover story for The Other paper this week about the Anonymous nerds protesting Scientology as part of Project Chanology.

Judging from how she had a pretty good and potentially photogenic story about the Hell City Tattoo Convention tucked inside, it was probably fairly impromptu coverage.

The headline? Stalking the Scientologists. Hmm. *yawn* Seems forced. The alliteration reminds me of the two main headlines from Otterbein's student paper, the Tan & Cardinal (of which I am an alumni):

" Sounds of sirens send students seeking shelter" and "Sex slave in suburbia". Maybe I'm just jealous... I quit after four words in the title for this blog post. Seems so cheesy to me it's like nails on a chalkboard. Maybe it's just me.

I digress. Of course this hot news item was totally broken here at RFT first. Well not really, because my reporting was just pretty much Wikipedia-based (like TV news), but I tried. Sort of.

Teter's story missed out some of the real hardcore nerdiness that inspired this event, but she did a pretty good job, especially considering how convoluted the whole thing is.

The saga continues!

At least media coverage like this means the Wikipedia editors won't delete their article like they did back when Anonymous was still razzing Hal Turner.

Ps, sorry for all the external links, but it's something that bloggers are supposed to do. Two bits to anyone who actually clicks through to all of them.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Stephen said...

i get two bits!
also, i am still officially listed as part of this blog. do you want me to write things for it?

7:45 PM  
Blogger tobias said...

sure, if you want! blog away.

12:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home