Radio Free Tobias: John Vanderslice & Wooden Wand @ High Five 4/18

Tuesday, April 18, 2006

John Vanderslice & Wooden Wand @ High Five 4/18

Robert Duffy of Done Waiting, who books at the High Five bar on the side, really did a great job pulling this together. Eric Metronome opened for John Vanderslice and Sunday Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday (his backing band) and Wooden Wand from Kill Rock Stars (JV's touring opening band).

I love Eric, but I was a little bummed Crystal Skulls didn't tag along for this show. They played their last date with JV the night before and went off on their ways.

I got to this show a little bit late because of the earliness of it -- I had to catch some dinner and I took a walk in the beautiful Alum Creek Park on campus. I just missed Eric (and the vegan snacks being handed out at the JV merch table). Anyway, without getting into too much depth.

Wooden Wand, who get classified as freak-folk, played a pretty straightforward folk set. It's rough playing mellow music in a bar when people aren't there to see you, and I thought Wooden Wand aka, James Toth did a really great job. It was a pretty short set and it was still light out at this time.



Now, John Vanderslice and his backing band basically played an amazing 2-hour set. They played material from all five of JV's albums and even played a few requests.



Let me say that it is immensely refreshing to see someone who has a decent amount of fame act so down-to-earth and even gracious. He and his band played Speed Lab even though they hadn't practiced it.

He took the time to take a picture with me and Tyler, the music director at WOBN and Rachael from CD101, and told us to wait around until he could take the time to talk to us for awhile.



I took just a few more photos. Nothing spectacular (and I will surely post once Kim from Picture the Sound gets some things up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home