Radio Free Tobias: Want to be a music journalist?

Thursday, January 19, 2006

Want to be a music journalist?

Adam Williams, a writer from Pop Matters, has concocted what amounts to a music journalism personality test. Here's a sample question:

3. Guitarists are mathematicians, and what they play is aptly described as angular.

I read all the answers, so I think that disqualifies me from taking the test (looks like I'll have to wait until the next test to find out if I'm meant to be a music journalist...), but my intuition on this one would scream that music is never angular. Just a hunch.

Again, going by intuition, being a music journalist involves too much pretension by assigning any sort of worth to your opinion about something as arbitrary as music. Just because I've gotten a review published doesn't make me a creidble source. I'm also not a rock musician. I'm going to have to go with no on that one, too. Although I could change my mind.

Oh, and music is not math.

1 Comments:

Blogger Stephen said...

My score goes to 11! Also, nice review in the Alive. Very well-written, homeslice.

7:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home